Student Employment Eligibility
- Fall and Spring Terms: Must be enrolled at least half-time (6 credits for undergraduate; 4.5 for graduate level)
- Summer Session: Must be enrolled 3.0 credits for undergraduate and graduate OR enrolled at least half-time in upcoming Fall term
Hours Eligible to Work Guidelines
If you have more than one campus job, you must coordinate your total hours working per week with all supervisors. Total hours per week include all jobs together.
- Federal Work Study: Eligible to work a maximum of 25 hours per week between all jobs within the Fall and Spring academic terms. There are periods where students may work more hours; however, it is restricted. Please refer to the work eligibility schedule for details.
- International Students: No more than 20 hours per week while classes are in session
NOTE: All students must be enrolled in courses at a higher education university with at least 6.0 undergraduate credits or 4.5 graduate credits for Fall and Spring Terms in order to work for UW Oshkosh
Required Hiring Paperwork
You must supply the following paperwork on or before the first day of work. Failure to provide this documentation will delay your start date in the job.
- Agreement and Verification of Hours Form
- Form I-9 (employment eligibility and verification) – must be completed on the first day of employment or before; must supply original documentation as listed on page 3 of Form I-9. Employment will be terminated if this form is not verified and completed within three days of employment.
- W-4 Employee Withholding Certificate
- Direct Deposit Form
- Selective Service Certification (males only)
- A criminal background check may be required depending on which department you work for and the duties required of the position. This form will be requested by the department if required.
Time Entry Resources
- All hours must be entered by the end of last day of the pay period
- If your job does not start on the first day of the pay period, you will need to view your timesheet by day to enter hours
- Timesheet Entry Instructions (hourly students)
- Lump Sum Entry Instructions (Lump Sum payments)
- Login to My UW System: timesheet entry and earnings statement retrieval
Finding Employment On or Off Campus
- TitanJobs: Job postings for part-time, full-time and internship opportunities on and off campus
- Academic Excellence (STEP) Program: Provides high-impact internship opportunities for UW Oshkosh students
Conditions of Employment - Work Rules
All student hourly positions are at-will positions and may be terminated at any time provided the reason is not prohibited by law. It is the University’s position that the University of Wisconsin System University Employees Work Rules apply to student employees in the same manner as they apply to staff.
Bi-weekly Payroll and Tax Information (FICA)
- FICA (Federal Insurance Contributions Act): Social Security and Medicare taxes
- Students enrolled in school do not have to pay FICA tax; when they are not enrolled, students will pay the FICA tax
- For summer session if students are not enrolled, they will pay FICA even if enrolled in upcoming Fall term